The Costs of Mobility in the Paris Region



The Costs of Mobility in the Paris Region

Authors

DEBRINCAT L, Syndicat des Transports Parisiens, France

Description

France is a unitary country with a national government (the State) and three levels of local government : the rdgions (22 in France), the ddpartements (96) and the communes ( 36 548). None of these three levels has power or prevails over the others. The I

Abstract

France is a unitary country with a national government (the State) and three levels of local government : the rdgions (22 in France), the ddpartements (96) and the communes ( 36 548). None of these three levels has power or prevails over the others. The Ile-de-France region is comprised of 8 ddpartements (one for Paris and 7 for its suburbs) and 1281 communes. In 1991 (date of the last census), the region held 10,7 millions inhabitants (20 % of France's population in a territory which represents only 2 % of the total country) and 5,1 millions jobs. The region is commonly divided in three sectors (which don't exist administratively but are consistent with respect to urbanisation) : Paris, the Petite Couronne Cmuer suburbs) and the Grande Couronne (outer suburbs).

State-owned and privately owned companies operate the public transport services in the Ile-de-France region. The public companies, RATP and SNCF, carry more than 90 % of public transport travellers ( RATP operates subway lines, regional express network lines and busses, SNCF Ile-de-France operates suburban rail and regional express network lines). 80 private companies operate bus services in the suburbs.

The Syndicat des Transports Parisians (STP) is the Public Transport Authority in the Ile-de-France region. It co-ordinates the activities of all operators, defines fares, distributes the proceeds from transport duties levied on employers, and the revenue from the sale of public transport passes between the various transport companies. It approves the budget and operating accounts of RATP and passes judgement on the same issues as concerns SNCF lie-de-France. These budgets include explicitly the compensating indemnity paid by the government and the He-de-France d~partements to supplement farebox funds collected by the two State-owned transport companies.

As for the funding of public transport investment, rules are different according to the nature of investment. Development of the infrastructure is 80 % financed by subsidies from the State and the rdgion, the remaining 20 % is supported by public companies. Rolling stock and other categories ofinvestmant are funded through capital borrowing or corporate savings of public companies.

Publisher

Association for European Transport